Monday, April 5, 2010

Standardized Testing.

Today we have standardized testing for our homeschool group. We are required to test children grades three through nine in this state as one of the homeschooling guidelines. I am all for standardized testing that challenges the mind and establishes how far one's mind can go. Too bad our test is NOT like that! This particular one is a basic skills test and is not even at the child's current grade level, but it is something that we are required to take....so we do it!

When we moved here a few years ago, as always, I was excited to get the results from this "enormously discussed testing", but I am not so sure the testing gives an accurate evaluation. Actually, I would have to say that I am pretty positive. David, last year (7th grade), scored something ridiculous like 15th or 16th grade level on Reading and Math. Now, I know that the boy is intellectual, but COME ON! I want to know how a Math test that doesn't work past fractions could determine such results for a seventh grader?? I would truthfully like to see what grade level he is working at! SAT/ACT's will be coming soon enough, I suppose.

No comments: