Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Carnival Fantasy: A Joke For a Cruise Ship....and My Review!

The hubby and I thought we would have a nice little "alone time" retreat to the Caribbean....on a cruise....it really didn't turn out the way we had expected. I'll fill you in!

The not so great stuff:
  • It seemed as though all areas except the dining room were smoke filled, cough, hack, cough.
  • Food was MCL/Old Country Buffet quality...sometimes worse.
  • Evening shows were not as good as some that I have seen at high school functions.
  • The comedian put one of our friends to sleep and never received a laugh from my hubby or myself.
  • The continuous movement of the ship, the only time we could not feel movement is when the boat was docked at port.
  • Husband rolled off of a stool from the movement, water sloshed out of our glasses at meals, my girlfriend and I almost took several falls with our heels on at elegant night.
  • Never able to walk in a straight line on the ship....watching poor elderly people struggle to walk.
  • The barf bags set out next to all of the elevators for our convenience....YUK!
  • Some of the filled bags set out....BLUH.
  • Finding out the captain did not use stabilizers for the purpose of conserving fuel...I think everyone would have chipped in if that was the case.
  • Ping pong and mini-golf...only activities available on the ship...Oh, sorry....there was a pool and hot tub as well, but since the rocking of the ship was so intense....they were closed a lot of the time.
  • Did I mention the food was lousy? Desserts were pre-made...COME ON!
  • Constant motion sickness type feelings.....having to head to bed early almost every night to prevent a toilet hugging event....not that there was anything to do anyway!
  • We actually paid for this vacation!

On the more positive side:

  • We were able to have friends on the ship which made the experience laughable and not an entire flop....very much a blessing!
  • The beds were comfortable as well were the pillows!
  • Brand new televisions in the staterooms....is that really on my pro list?
  • Didn't pay that much for this cruise.
  • Our stateroom attendant was extremely nice and attentive.
  • Our dinner staff was amazingly nice and helpful....Joseph would replace our disgusting entrees with the very tasty shrimp cocktail appetizer any time we asked (every night).
  • Being able to have as many shrimp cocktails as we could engulf.
  • The shrimp cocktail was good!
  • Great pizza and caesar salads.
  • I never had to "act" on the motion sickness...everything stayed down the entire cruise.
  • Didn't get hurt the many times that I fell because of the constant swaying.
  • Nobody fell off of the ship!
  • Card playing on the Lido deck with our friends.
  • Good times in Cozumel and Progreso Mexico.
  • Only rained a couple times...rather than the expected rainy weather.
  • So happy to see the cruise come to an end!

I don't know if I will ever be brave enough to set sail on another cruise ship, but if I do it will NOT be with Carnival Cruise Line, it WILL be an enormous ship, and it will most definitely NOT set sail from New Orleans!

Just a side note: I stepped foot off of the boat on Thursday, October 22nd and I still feel the movement of the ocean when I walk or move a certain way....it is most assuredly not pleasant.

No comments: